Meatless Mini Burgers with Stilton and Red Onion
Succulent burgers. rich blue cheese and fruity red onion chutney are a match made in heaven. Save time and make the burger buns up to two days in advance.
Serves 12 Total Time 15mins.
For the burgers
- 1/2 pack Meatless Farm meat-free mince
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 12 burger buns, pitta or ciabatta bread
(or see recipe below)
- Stilton cheese or vegan cheese
- 1 jar red onion chutney
- Salt and pepper
For the buns
- 200ml whole or plant milk
- 50g unsalted butter or vegan spread
- 500g plain flour, extra for dusting
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 1 egg, beaten/ vegan egg substitute
- Sesame seeds
For the burger buns:
- Combine milk, butter and 100ml water in a pan and gently heat until the butter is melted. Set aside to cool until just warm.
- Mix flour, sugar, yeast and 1 tsp salt into a large bowl and gradually work in the milk mixture, and then the egg, until you have a smooth dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface, or use a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Stop when the dough is elastic and shiny.
- Cut the dough into 12 pieces (about 80g each) and roll them into tight balls.
- Place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper – leave plenty of space between each dough ball.
- Put aside to prove for 30–45 mins – preferably somewhere warmer.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/Gas 6.
- Once the rolls have proved, press them down gently using your hands, then brush over some milk and scatter over the sesame seeds, if you like (or, dust with some flour).
- Bake for 10–12 mins until risen and lightly golden. Leave to cool completely, then serve. Make up to two days ahead and keep in an airtight container.
For the burger patties:
- In a frying pan, fry your onion in a small amount of oil until soft.
- Remove the mince from the packaging and place in a bowl with the cooked onion, mixed herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Time to get your hands dirty! Mix all the ingredients together and then create 12 small balls of mince. Flatten to around 1cm thick to make your sliders.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat in a non–stick frying pan. Season your burgers with salt and pepper and then fry for 3–4 mins. Turning halfway through.
- Crumble stilton and add to the top of the burgers for a further minute until it starts to melt. Tip: remove the pan from the heat, add 2 tbsp of water and cover with a lid or plate. The steam encourages the cheese to melt from the top.
- Remove the burgers from the pan and place on a bun. Top with a dollop of onion chutney and add your burger lid.