Christmas Cocktails for a Merry & Bright Season
Christmas isn’t just for the kids, you know. Give your cocktail cabinet the festive twist you’ve been waiting for all year long. Go on – break out your inner bartender and bring out the drink-mixing Vixen in you.
Dreaming of a Spiced Christmas
You might not be able to travel to get a traditional Glühwein, but this drink brings that German-themed Christmas atmosphere to you. Something to mull over, right?
- 10ml sherry
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 40ml spiced rum
- 15ml Southern Comfort
- 15ml egg whites
- 1 smoking cinnamon stick
- Add ½ tsp allspice and nutmeg to the bottle of sherry. Leave for 1 hr.
- Shake all the ingredients with ice until frothy, then strain into glass. Light the end of the cinnamon stick and place on top.
Rooibos Old Fashioned
This Old Fashioned is not quite as old fashioned as the name makes it sound. A modern Rooibos-inspired twist adds notes of vanilla and wood for a tipple best enjoyed by the Christmas firelight.
- 40ml bourbon
- Rooibos tea bag
- 10ml marsala wine
- 10ml sugar syrup
- Orange zest
- Infuse a rooibos tea bag into a bottle of bourbon for 30 mins. Strain off.
- Add all ingredients to a glass or mixer over ice and stir until diluted.
- Pour into a rocks glass over ice. Garnish with a twist of orange zest.
‘Tis the season to be baking – or even cocktail making. This Rhubarb Strudel recipe will give you all the taste and tang you love to savour in your favourite seasonal desserts. Top with a slice of apple for a fruity finish.
- 50ml Warner’s Rhubarb Gin
- 50ml cloudy apple juice
- 25ml lemon juice
- 20ml toffee sauce
- Sprinkle of nutmeg
- Slice of apple
- Shake all ingredients vigorously in a cocktail shaker with ice to create a foam.
- Strain into a coupe glass.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg and a slice of apple.
Apple Tree Toddy
When comparing Christmas recipes, it’s not all apples to apples. This one stands out for its nostalgic qualities reminiscent of drinking hot apple cider while on a winter walk. Wrap up and enjoy.
- 60ml Avallen Calvados
- 100ml water
- 2 tbsp Orange Marmalade
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 tbsp Honey
- Bring all the ingredients to a simmer over a medium heat until the liquid begins to boil.
- Remove from heat, serve in a heat proof glass (or coffee mug) and garnish with an orange peel coin
What cocktail list would be complete with the mighty G&T? A splash of sherry gives this refreshing aperitif a jolly uplift. Plus, you can make it easily without a shaker, in case you don’t have one to hand.
- Pedrino Sherry & Tonic Spritz
- 25ml dry gin
- 2 slices of grapefruit
- Coppa glass
- Fill the glass with ice, add dry gin.
- Top with Pedrino Sherry & Tonic Spritz and garnish with grapefruit slices.
Flippin’ Heck It’s Xmas
The notes in this flip on classic Christmas flavours have all the hallmarks of home. Warming brandy and plummy port will have you going merrily on your way all season long.
- 35ml brandy/cognac
- 12ml port
- 1 egg
- 10ml coconut sugar syrup
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously.
- Strain twice into a coupe and garnish with an edible flower if you have one.
Note: To make the coconut syrup, simply mix equal parts coconut sugar and boiling water until dissolved – chill and store in a cool dry place for future use.