How To Tan and Go
No sunshine? No problem. With our range of high-quality self-tanning products, you can look like you’ve just stepped off the plane from the Med, without the rays. From how to prep, to which products to pick for your skin type, read on for our guide to getting bronzed.
Tips on how to apply tanning products
- The key to a streak-free, sun-kissed glow that doesn’t scream faux tan? Exfoliate the night before and moisturise skin with an oil-free body lotion before applying your chosen tanning product, paying careful attention to hands, feet, elbows, knees and any other drier areas.
- If you’re not used to self-tanning then a product that offers gradual tanning can be a great way to build a subtle glow without putting too much pressure on one self-tan session. It’s easier to make a tan darker than it is to remove fake tan mistakes.
- Use self-tan products sparingly on hands, feet, elbows and knees as well as around the hairline as these areas can capture excess product making it appear darker in those places.
- A tanning mitt can be a great way to avoid tell-tale orange palms as well as resulting in a smoother, more professional finish.
- Allow your tan to dry completely before getting dressed.
- Do any hair removal 24 hours before applying a tanning product as it can sink into open pores.
- Make sure skin is free from deodorant or perfume as this can make the tan patchy… and in some cases turn your skin green.
- Stand in front of a mirror when you are applying the tanning products, so you can ensure the colour is evenly distributed.
- If you opt for a wash off tan, use cool water to remove the excess product.
When your tan starts to wear off, remove all traces of it before reapplying.
How to choose a self tan product
Choosing a self tan product all depends on what’s best for you, so choose one that’s suitable for your skin type. For example, if you have dry skin then pick a formula that’s particularly moisturising. It’s also important to choose a shade of self tan that suits your skin tone. If you have fair skin, then opt for a lighter tanning shade and vice versa.
Now you know what to look for in an aftersun, explore our top picks for aftersun care:
Self tanning products
Our top picks for tantastic tans…
Dove DermaSpa Summer Revived Medium to Dark Gradual Self Tan
Get a healthy-looking, sun-kissed glow without exposing your skin to the sun with this moisturising lotion that results in a natural-looking tan.
St Tropez Everyday Gradual Tan Body Light/Medium
Use this daily body lotion for an even streak-free natural healthy glow as well as hydrated skin for up to 48 hours.
L’Oreal Sublime Bronze Face Dry Mist Non-Tinted
Resulting in a natural-looking, air-brushed tan, this mist is easy to apply and dries instantly meaning no running or streaking.
Bondi Sands Self Tanning Foam Dark
One of the best Bondi Sands tanning products, this lightweight foam is enriched with aloe vera and has a light coconut scent that’s perfect for dreaming of holidays.
Ambre Solaire No Streaks Bronzer Light Self Tan Face Mist
A quick drying face mist, this lightweight formula develops in just 1 hour for a beautiful sun kissed glow that lasts for up to 1 week.
Green People Organic Gradual Tan Moisturiser Vegan
Rich in prebiotics, antioxidants and Omega fatty acids to protect, balance and nourish, this organic tanning formula is also vegan. It’s also great for acne-prone or sensitive skin.
If you’re looking for a quick golden glow that washes off, then look no further. Easy to apply and quick drying, it smooths skin and blurs imperfections for an airbrushed finish.
Balance Me Gradual Tanning Drops
A gradual tanner suitable for both face and body, these clever drops can be added to your favourite moisturiser to gradually build a natural-looking tan.
TanOrganic Certified Organic Self Tanning for Face & Body
An anti-ageing aloe vera-based formula that’s 100% natural and organic, it’s a great choice for all skin types.
St. Moriz Self Tanning Applicator Mitt
For self-tanners seeking a professional finish (and who isn’t?) use this velvety soft applicator. It prevents streaks, as well as protecting your hands from stains, and makes tanning products easier to apply than ever.
Maintaining your tan
Moisturise regularly to maintain your tan and prevent it flaking or going patchy. Pick a rich nourishing lotion such as one with shea butter to keep skin soft and supple by sealing in moisture.
Another reason to love self tan?
As if there weren’t enough reasons to love this sunshine-in-a-bottle, self tan is a great way to minimise your exposure to the sun without compromising on that healthy-looking glow.
Exposure to the sun can cause sunburn, sun damage and premature ageing, as well as putting you at risk of serious illnesses. Make sure to always use a sunscreen with a high SPF factor throughout the year to keep skin protected from harmful rays.
Whether you want to get a head start before a holiday or look like you’ve just been on one, our huge range of tanning products will help you get that glow without the sun. Head to our holiday aisle for everything you need or explore our other summer-essential blogs for more inspiration.