Your Ultimate Summer Holiday Packing List
Travelling abroad? Weekend getaway in the UK? Or headed on a day trip? Wherever you’re going and whatever the length of your stay, there’s a few essentials that are always worth having on hand.
From what to pack when you’re travelling with kids to things you need for a holiday abroad, read on for our travel tips that will help you pack like a pro. Planning your next adventure has never been easier.
How to pack light
- Pack a few days in advance if you have time. This will give you the opportunity to consider what you really need to take and reduce the amount you are packing if necessary.
- Check the weather forecast for the destination you’re heading to as this will help determine exactly what you need to pack.
- Those extra clothes are unlikely to get worn so make a plan for what you plan to wear while you’re on holiday. Layers can be a great way to maximise outfit combinations when packing light as you can pick and choose.
- Limit the amount of shoes you pack as these can be heavy and bulky. For example, pick one pair that’s good for walking in, one for going out in the evening, and a pair of sandals or flip flops if you’re headed somewhere hot or sandy.
- When it comes to toiletries, buy travel-size products or decant your favourites into smaller containers as this saves a huge amount of space.
- Keep cosmetics to a minimum. It can be tempting to pack your whole makeup bag but think of that holiday glow instead.
- Invest in a suitcase that is lightweight. Believe it or not, some suitcases can weigh in at a whopping 5kg or more even when they’re empty.
- Use an at-home travel scale to make sure your bag is within the airline’s restrictions before you arrive at the airport.
Essentials for a holiday abroad
A great way to make sure you don’t forget those essentials is to write the ultimate packing list and we’ve popped a ready-made list here. So that’s one thing you can tick off.
- Passport (with at least six months validity).
- Flight ticket and boarding pass, whether this is printed or a digital copy on your phone.
- A visa if the country you are travelling to requires one.
- Check the travel restrictions for the country you are visiting including whether you need a negative lateral flow test to enter. Further information can be found here.
- Book travel insurance to make sure you’re covered for any bumps in the road. That way you can travel worry-free.
- As mentioned above, if you’re only taking hand luggage with no checked baggage then travel-sized toiletries can be a great option to pop in your carry-on bag.
- For longer trips, attach a unique label to your checked luggage to make recognising it on the conveyor belt quicker and easier.
- Remember to pack a couple of adaptor plugs that you can use for phone chargers and other electricals.
- Add a first aid kit to your suitcase including any medicine you might need for minor ailments.
- If you’re headed somewhere hot, pack and use an insect repellant to help fend off mosquitos.
- Wherever you’re travelling, make sure you’ve got sun cream and sunglasses to keep skin and eyes protected.
- Travelling with little ones? Take activities to keep them busy in the car or on the plane.
- For children, it’s also good to pack a sunscreen that’s fun to apply such as a roll-on sunblock or spray.
Holiday toiletries list
- Shower gel
- Face wash
- Shaving equipment
- Antibacterial hand gel
From weekend getaways to longer trips, we’ve got everything you need to make this holiday your most organised yet. Tick off those essentials and get ready to countdown to a stress-free summer holiday to remember, for all the right reasons.
Don’t forget to explore our other blog posts on getting ready for the summer holidays or head on over to our holiday shop for everything you need.