This Halloween we want to see your creepiest carvings – let your imagination run riot!
All you have to do is grab a pumpkin, carve a devilish design, then send your snaps to firstname.lastname@example.org adding ‘pumpkin carving’ as the subject line.
I’ve attached some templates you could use, and typed out my beginners’ tips, below.
We’re looking for skill and creativity, and we’d love to see pics of the creative process too. We’ll be uploading them to Facebook, and our favourite wins a £50 Ocado voucher.
Entries must be in by 4th November, and we’ll contact the winner within five days.
Find pumpkins and carving kits in our Halloween Shop.
Download the Halloween Pumpkin Templates
Think big – A larger pumpkin will be easier to carve, and give you enough room to correct the odd mistake. Also, make sure the pumpkin is as fresh as possible – it’s easier and lasts longer.
Fire in the hole! – Generally, the first step is to cut a lid in the top of the pumpkin, then hollow it out. If you’re illuminating the pumpkin with a candle, put the candle in a high sided glass and don’t leave it unattended when lit.
Simply the best – If this is your first pumpkin carving, don’t make it too complicated; practise with a simple, bold design. Tape one of our templates to the pumpkin then poke along the lines.
Think outside the box – It’s not just about carving. You can shave parts of the pumpkin to create a two-tone effect, screw in nuts and bolts, even add splashes of paint. It’s up to you.
Preservation society – rubbing Vaseline or vegetable oil into the flesh of the pumpkin will help it last as long as possible. It will also make it flammable, so be careful!
James Markey, Marketing Executive
Terms & Conditions – Halloween Pumpkin Competition
• This competition is open to all UK residents aged 18 or over (except for anyone directly connected with the planning or administration of this competition).
• Prize Details: There is one prize of a £50 Ocado voucher.
• The closing date and time for entries into the Halloween Pumpkin Competition is 23.59 on 4th November. Entries sent after this date and time will not be included in the prize draw.
• The winner will be chosen based on the level of creativity and skill shown, as judged by our marketing team, in the week commencing 04/11/2013. Do not enter into correspondence with the judges and the judge’s decision is final.
• The winner of the prize will be contacted within 5 days of the draw and will be given full details of how to redeem their prize. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not respond within 14 days of the initial notification, or cannot take up the prize, then we reserve the right to select another winner.
• The prize is non-transferable and there is no cash alternative available.
• We reserve the right to substitute the prize with another prize of equal or greater value or to terminate, amend, extend or shorten the promotional period at any time and without notice.
• We have organised this competition in good faith but cannot accept any liability relating to the prize draw or the prize offered.
• Winners may be required to take part in marketing events.
• All entry instructions form part of these terms and conditions. By entering this promotion, all participants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by them.
• The promoter of this competition is Ocado Limited. For details of the winner’s name and county please send a SAE to the Marketing Department, Ocado Limited, Titan Court, 3 Bishops Square, Hatfield Business Park, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL10 9NE.