MOB Kitchen Leftover Pumpkin Stuffed Shells Recipe
Once Jack has lost his glow and there’s only a few weeks left of autumn to go, this recipe can be a great winter warmer that uses him up.
- 1 cooking pumpkin
- 1 red chilli
- 1 garlic bulb
- 250g large pasta shells
- 30g butter
- Handful of sage leaves
- 30g plain flour
- 600ml whole milk
- 150g mature cheddar
- 25g parmesan
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 100g mozzarella
- Olive oil
Cook’s tip: If you’ve used up all your pumpkins for this delicious recipe, don’t be afraid to use up your other vegetables, such as carrots, parsnips and butternut squash.
- Heat your oven to 190°C/170°C fan/375°F.
- Peel and dice up your pumpkin into 1-inch chunks, setting aside the seeds until later.
- Chuck the pumpkin on a baking tray along with your chilli and garlic, drizzle with olive oil and salt, then bake for 45 mins until tender and caramelised.
- In a separate tray, add your pumpkin seeds and toss with a splash of oil and a pinch of salt.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins, tossing every so often so that they brown evenly.
- When cooked, they should be a deep golden colour and crisp when crunched on. Set aside until later.
- Once cooked, allow your pumpkin mixture to cool down a little before popping it into a food processor. Squeeze your garlic out of it’s skin and add this to the blender too along with your red chilli. Blitz it until you have a chunky puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook your pasta shells according to packet instructions.
- Stuff your pumpkin mixture into the shells, then set to one side.
- In a large pan over a medium heat, melt your butter. Once melted, add your sage leaves and fry for 2 mins until crisp. Remove your sage leaves from the pan, and set aside. Add your flour and mustard powder and beat into a paste – cook out for 2 minutes until the mixture smells biscuity.
- Gradually pour in your milk in small increments, beating until smooth before adding more. Once all your milk is added, bring your mixture to a boil before turning the heat down to a simmer for a couple of mins, until your sauce thickens.
- Add your cheddar, parmesan and nutmeg to the pan and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour your mixture into a baking dish and nestle your stuffed shells into it. Top with your mozzarella. Bake in the oven for 25-30 mins.
- Sprinkle with your crispy sage leaves and pumpkin seeds, then serve up immediately!