WHITE CHOCOLATE GOLD BUNNY CARROT CAKE
Made with white chocolate and topped with a Lindt Gold Bunny, this carrot cake is anything but classic and the perfect Easter centerpiece.
Serves 12 Total Time 2hrs 30 mins
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g carrots, grated
- 100g Lindt Excellence White Chocolate with a Touch of Vanilla, finely chopped
- 250g full-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 125g icing sugar
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 1 Lindt Chocolate Gold Bunny
- 1 pkt Lindt Chocolate Mini Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160 Fan/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line three 15 cm/6-inch loose-based round cake tins with greaseproof paper.
- Whisk together the flour with the baking powder, spices, bicarbonate of soda and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar, oil and vanilla extract.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the carrots. Spoon evenly between the prepared tins and smooth over the tops.
- Bake for around 35–40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely in the tins before turning out onto wire racks.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: Place the chopped chocolate into a heat-proof bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water.
- Stir gently until melted. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the butter and cooled white chocolate until blended, then beat in the icing sugar until smooth.
- If the frosting is too soft, chill in the fridge for 10–15 minutes to firm up enough to pipe.
- Place one cake onto a flat plate. Using a palette knife, spread with one third of the frosting and top with a second cake.
- Repeat with another third of frosting and the final cake. Spread the remaining frosting on the top and down the sides of the tiers, creating a ‘naked’ effect.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with coconut, leaving a 2.5 cm/1-inch border. Unwrap the Chocolate Bunny and set in the centre, surrounded by Lindt Mini Eggs.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.