Vegan Smoky Veggie Wellington
Perfect for a vegan Sunday lunch centerpiece is a seriously impressive take on the original classic. Perfect texture with the added bonus of a kick of spice.
Serves 2-4 Total Time 50 mins
- 1 250g pack chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 smoked garlic cloves, crushed (non-smoked also works)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 225g packet of smoked tofu, chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- A pinch of chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 sheet of vegan puff pastry
- A sprinkle of sesame seeds
- Fry the onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of oil for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the mushrooms, tofu, chilli, thyme and liquid aminos/soy sauce and fry for another 10 mins, until all ingredients have started to brown.
- Transfer ingredients to a blender, or bowl to use a hand blender, along with breadcrumbs and blend until a thick sausage mix type mixture is formed.
- This doesn’t have to be smooth – the odd bit of mushroom or tofu will be fine in the Wellington.
- Take one sheet of pastry and cut in half length-ways. With one on the halves, slice into strips diagonally. Place the entire piece on baking paper on an oven tray.
- Place the mixture to cover the entire half of pastry and place pastry strips across the top in a criss-cross pattern. Sprinkle on sesame seeds.
- Bake at around 200ºC for approx 35 mins, or until the top looks all nice and brown and crispy.