Easy-Peasy British Bacon, Pea and Cheddar Pasta
A gloriously easy take on a carbonara. For a veggie-friendly version use shiitake mushrooms instead of the bacon.
Serves 4 Total Time 20 mins.
- 4 eggs
- 60g cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 400g spaghetti
- 300g frozen peas, defrosted
- 8 rashers M&S bacon, diced roughly into 2cm cubes
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl with a fork, mix in the grated cheddar cheese and season with a pinch of black pepper.
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water for 1 minute less than the packet instructions. Add in the peas for the final couple of mins to cook through.
- Fry the diced bacon in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium high heat for around 5 mins, until they are golden and crisp. Remove the pan from the heat.
- When the pasta and peas are cooked, drain, saving a ladle full of the pasta water. Add the pasta, peas and water to the bacon pan and toss together.
- Pour in the egg and cheese mixture, toss through the pasta and stir for 2 mins to allow the heat from the pasta to cook the eggs. Serve with a pinch of black pepper.