Brought to you by @Kierenmayers, this soup recipe is the perfect antidote to a cold and wet autumnal day.
Serves 4 Total Time 1hr
- 2 tbsp of rapeseed or light olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (remove seeds if you don’t like it spicy)
- 6 medium tomatoes (a good way to use up old soggy toms), roughly chopped
- 1 litre of vegetable or chicken stock
- 2-3 decent fistfuls of young green courgette leaves
- 2 tbsp of crunchy peanut butter (optional)
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and sauté the onions, garlic, and chilli without colouring for 5 mins.
- Lower the heat and add the chopped tomatoes. Cook down until pulpy and simmering for 10–15 mins, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick,
- Add the stock and courgette leaves, turn up the heat until simmering.
- Put a lid on the pan and cook for 30 mins. The courgette leaves will soften and darken a little (like cooking spinach).
- After cooling the mixture (to avoid any scalding splash-back), blend the soup together.
- Stir in crunchy peanut butter if preferred and season to taste.
Cook’s tip: Pick the courgette leaves near the top of the plant, towards the end of the season.