Seasonal Potato Topped Lamb Hotpot
Another way to eat these tasty potatoes while you can… use to top stews, pies and hotpots.
Serves 4 • Prep 20 mins • Cook 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 900g diced lamb leg
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 50g plain flour
- 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 500ml vegetable or lamb stock
- 4 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
- 10g parsley, chopped
- 400-500g seasonal potatoes, cut into 2-3mm slices
- 30g butter, plus an extra knob
- 500g spring greens, sliced
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Heat the olive oil in a casserole for large saucepan). Add the meat to brown, then remove and set aside.
- Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook for 10 mins until everything starts to soften and caramelise at the edges.
- Stir in the flour, then add the worcestershire sauce and stock. Return the lamb and juices to the pan and mix well. Cook for 2 mins until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Stir in the thyme leaves and parsley and season to taste.
- Turn off the heat and, if you are using a casserole, level out the top. Carefully arrange the sliced potatoes over the top. If you used a saucepan, decant into an ovenproof dish before topping with the potato.
- Melt the butter in a small pan, brush over the potatoes and then pop the dish into the oven.
- Bake for 1 hr, until the potatoes are golden and cooked through.
- Before serving, steam the sliced greens for 5 mins, then drain and add a knob of butter.
- Dish out the hotpot alongside the spring greens.
Find all the ingredients you need for this recipe at ocado.com