Mum keeps everything we give her, even cards and wrap. That’s why I try to make a special effort when I’m wrapping my Mother’s Day gifts. If you’d like to make your wrapping extra special for your Mum this year, take a look at my favourite tips below.
Hints and tips for wrapping:
- Make things easy for yourself – save boxes if you know you’ve got gifts to wrap soon, these are especially useful when wrapping awkward–shaped presents.
- Make it personal – try using original wrapping paper, or something relevant to the person (e.g. if they like to travel, use a map) to wrap their gift.
- Keep the element of surprise – if the shape of the present you’ve bought gives away what it is right away, disguise it. Put it in a box, or wrap it in layers, to keep the recipient guessing.
- Colour-code your wrapping – this creates a pretty, cohesive look if you’re just wrapping for one person, and is a fun way for people to identify which presents are theirs if there are multiple recipients.
- Little things – use double-sided tape to create a more elegant, tape-free finish.
- Don’t use too much paper – this creates bulky, messy folds. Wrap the paper around the present to check sizes before trimming, cutting it so that it only overlaps around the middle by a few centimetres, and so that when folded over at the ends it extends only just over half way. This will ensure neat ends and smooth lines.
- Do something a bit different – cut your own quirky tags to give your wrapping a personal touch.
- Finishing touches – use a fresh flower attached with some ribbon to add a feminine touch to your wrapped gift.
Shop for wrapping paper and gift bags