WAYS TO WIPE OUT WASTE
Piles of peels leftover? Our friends at Tastemade have brought together a few tasty tricks for what to do with your odds and ends.
Potato Peeling Crisps
- 100g potato peelings
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2tsp fine salt
- Smoked paprika/garlic powder/ras el hanout (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C
2. In a bowl mix together the peelings, oil and salt until everything is well coated. Other flavourings are optional.
3. Spread out in a single layer on a large baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until crisp and golden, turning once half way through.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
Herb Stem Pesto
- 50g mixed soft herb stems – mint, parsley, basil, dill, coriander
- 50ml olive oil
- 25g pine nuts
- 25g parmesan, grated
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- ½ tsp salt
1. In a food processor blitz together all the ingredients until smooth, then store in a sealed container in the fridge.
2. Use in dips, pastas, sauces, or even freeze for later use.
- 150g apple & pear peelings
- 300ml white wine or cider vinegar
1. Fill a glass jar with the fruit peelings and any leftover cores. Pour over the vinegar, pop the lid on and leave to infuse for a couple of weeks.
2. Strain the fruit from the vinegar and pour into a clean bottle. Use in place of regular vinegar for an extra fruity taste, e.g. a salad dressing