Vietnamese Bánh Xèo Crêpes
This recipe is pronounced ‘ban say-oh’ and the batter for these crêpes can be made up to five days in advance, just add the spring onion before using.
Serves 6 Total Time 40 mins
For the dipping sauce:
- 1 bird’s eye chilli, finely chopped
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 75ml hot water
For the crêpe batter:
- 100g rice flour
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 200ml coconut milk
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 125ml water
- 90ml vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 80g cooked king prawns
- 100g bean sprouts
- lettuce leaves
- spring onion, thinly sliced
- herbs (coriander, thai sweet basil and mint)
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- To make the batter, whisk all the ingredients together until smooth and free from lumps.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry a few slices of onion until golden, then add 70ml batter – swirl the pan to get a thin, even layer.
- Add some prawns and bean sprouts, cover and cook for 2 mins.
- Uncover and cook for another minute, making sure the crêpe is crispy and golden.
- Fold in half and pop in a warm oven while you repeat the process, using 1 tbsp oil to cook each new crêpe.
- Serve with the lettuce, spring onion, herbs and dipping sauce.
To shop all things pancake day, visit our dedicated aisle on-site.