Victoria Sponge with Limoncello Cream
Spiked with lemon liqueur and custardy lemon curd, this classic gets a citrus lift.
Serves 10 Takes 40 mins
- 225g butter
- 225g golden granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly whisked
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 200g mascarpone, for the filling
- 3 tbsp limoncello, for the filling
- 200ml double cream, for the filling
- 2 tbsp icing sugar, for the filling, plus extra for dusting
- 3 tbsp lemon curd, for the filling
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4 and line the bases of two 20cm sandwich tins with greaseproof paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, and then sift in the flour and baking powder. Lightly mix to combine, then stir in the milk.
- Divide between the two tins, level the surfaces, then bake in the oven for 20 mins, or until risen, golden and the edges are just coming away from the tin.
- Cool for 10 mins before removing.
- For the filling, mix the mascarpone and limoncello. In another bowl, whisk the cream and icing sugar until stiff. Fold into the mascarpone, then swirl the lemon curd through.
- Spread on to one cake and top with the second. Dust with icing sugar.