Tomato and Tuna Curry with Basmati Rice
How to turn the pantry staple, tinned tuna, into a hearty meal.
Serves 4 Total time 45 mins
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 green chillies, finely chopped (seeds out if you aren’t keen on heat)
• 12 curry leaves
• 4 garlic cloves, grated
• 3cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
• 1.3 kg Tomatoes – Diced
• 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
• 2 x 160g tins tuna in spring water, drained
• 20g coriander, chopped
• 300g basmati rice
1. Heat a large sauté pan with the olive oil and when it’s hot add the onion, chilli and curry leaves. Cook for 8-10 mins until the onion is starting to brown.
2. Then add the grated garlic, ginger and half the tomatoes. Cook on a relatively high heat until the tomatoes start to break down. Add the coconut milk and bring up to a simmer. Cook for 20 mins until the curry base starts to thicken.
3. Rinse the basmati rice and bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the rice to the saucepan, stir and return to the boil before reducing the heat, covering and simmering gently for 10-12 mins.
4. Add the remaining diced tomatoes, tuna and coriander to the sauté pan and season to taste. Cook for another 4-5 mins.
5. Turn the heat off from under the rice and allow it to stand for 5 mins, before removing the lid and fluffing with a fork.
6. Divide the rice between serving dishes and top with the curry.
For a vegan option, try replacing the tuna with a tin of chickpeas.