Toffee Apple Slices
The best part is that they’re super adaptable, even for vegan households.
Serves 12 Total Time 20 mins.
- 6 red apples (such as Pink Lady, Gala or Jazz)
- ½ lemon
- 6 wooden skewers
- 350g golden caster sugar
- 75ml water
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 50g pistachios, finely chopped
- 50g salted peanuts, finely chopped
- 50g dark chocolate chips
Instructions for the apples
- Begin by preparing your apple slices. Cut the ‘cheek’ off each apple, leaving the centre with the pips (these can be for nibbling!).
- Then cut the two cheeks into a slice by carefully cutting off the end.
- Using half a lemon, squeeze and rub the exposed apple with some lemon juice – this will help prevent the apple from oxidizing and going brown. Repeat this with all 6 apples until you have 12 slices.
- Skewer each of the slices with a wooden skewer and set aside on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
Instructions for the caramel
- In a saucepan, add the caster sugar and water. Heat this gently for 5 minutes until the sugar dissolves into the water.
- Next stir in the vinegar and the golden syrup and continue to heat. Use a thermometer to measure the temperature of the caramel – you want it to reach 150°C or ‘hard crack’ stage.
- Take the pan off the heat and carefully dip each of the apple slices into the caramel so half is submerged only. Remove and allow the excess to drip back into the saucepan before carefully placing on the baking paper and sprinkling with either the chopped nuts or chocolate chips before the caramel sets.
- Then allow the slices to set hard on the lined baking paper before serving.