Tempeh stuffed peppers
Learn to cook with the trendy ingredient tempeh – tofu made with fermented soya beans.
Serves 4 Total Time 45 mins
For the tofu
- 4 red peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra to drizzle
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 courgette, diced
- 200g tempeh, diced
- 80g kale, shredded
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- 250g ready-cooked mixed quinoa
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Micro herbs (optional)
- Green salad
- Crusty bread
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Slice the peppers in half through the stalk and remove the seeds. Place the halves snugly into a roasting dish.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and sweat the onion and garlic for 5 mins. Add the tomato purée and cook for 1 min. Add the courgette and tempeh and cook for 5 mins. Add the kale, walnuts, quinoa, tomatoes, paprika and rosemary. Season and stir.
3. Fill the peppers with the mix, pressing it in. Drizzle with olive oil and pop into the oven for 30 mins, or until cooked to your liking.
4. Drizzle with oil, add micro herbs (if using) and serve with a crisp green salad and bread.
7. If you like it even spicier, add some extra hot sauce.
Make it veggie
Top peppers with grated manchego for the last 10 mins of cooking.
Make it meaty
Replace the tempeh with 200g cooking chorizo.