Tastemade’s Aubergine Parm Sandwich Recipe
The folks at Tastemade are back at it – doing what they do best – making things tasty for you to enjoy. They inject every recipe with a big dollop of food passion (but we wouldn’t say no to a light dusting of parmesan cheese too). With this recipe frying can be fun, if you’ve got the right ingredients. The Italians and the Greeks will both agree that olive oil is king, so you’ll need to keep yours handy for this extra-cheesy, aubergine-y recipe that’s great for a filling lunch or casual dinner.
Makes 6 Total Time 50 mins
- 2x aubergines, sliced into 1cm thick slices
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g dried breadcrumbs
- 50g parmesan cheese
- 50ml milk
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- 350g M&S Tomato & Basil Sauce
- 250g M&S Italian Mozzarella
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- Focaccia bread
- 200ml vegetable oil
- Begin by preparing the aubergine slices. Slice both aubergines into round slices that are 1cm thick.
- Liberally salt both sides of the slices and lay them in an even layer on a wire rack on top of a baking tray.
- Leave these for 30 minutes – the salt will draw the moisture out of the aubergines, which will ensure they won’t be soggy.
- After 30 minutes, rub the aubergine slices dry of any remaining moisture using a kitchen towel, ensuring any excess salt is rubbed off too.
- Place the 50ml milk and 1 beaten egg into a small bowl and mix well.
- In a second small bowl, mix together the dried breadcrumbs with the grated parmesan and a pinch of black pepper.
- Take each slice of aubergine and first dip it into the egg mixture, and then into the breadcrumbs, making sure each slice is well coated. Continue with all the slices.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a high-sided, large shallow pan. Shallow fry the aubergine slices in batches for 2 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
- Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon. Place onto a baking tray lined with kitchen paper to dry any excess oil.
- Once all the aubergine slices are fried, remove the pan from the heat and let them cool.
- Next, preheat the grill and slice the focaccia in half.
- Lay the base into the bottom of a large baking tray (20x30cm). Drizzle the tray with the olive oil and spoon-drip on a thin layer of M&S Tomato and Basil sauce.
- Add an even layer of the crispy aubergine slice. Top with more tomato sauce and basil leaves.
- Finally, apply the sliced mozzarella. Place the whole tray under the grill for 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top it with the focaccia sandwich lid and place back under the grill for a further 2 minutes. This will warm the bread and give it a delicious glow on top.
- Once you’ve removed the sandwich from the oven, slice it into portions and garnish with fresh basil leaves, ready to serve.