Sweet Spiced French Toast Fingers
Use this recipe to transform bread leftovers into the star of the show on the breakfast table.
Serves 2 Total Time 20 mins.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp milk of your choice
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- Zest of 1 orange (optional)
- 2 tsp butter or rapeseed oil
- 2 thick slices stale bread, cut into 2-3cm batons (without crusts works better, but you can keep them on)
- Greek yogurt (to serve)
- Combine the eggs, milk and a pinch of salt in a wide bottomed bowl.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon and cardamom together on a large plate and set aside.
- Heat the butter or oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat.
- Roll the bread in the egg mixture quickly without soaking and shake off the excess. Place in the pan and keep the production line going until they are all in the pan.
- Watch closely and turn when each side is golden, 2 mins per side.
- Carefully transfer from the pan to the sugar plate and roll to coat. It will only stick while hot, so work quickly.
- Serve right away with cool creamy yogurt.