Stovetop Strata with Smoked Salmon and Spinach
A strata is like a savoury bread pudding or an eggy casserole. It’s super simple to prep the night before and serve for breakfast or brunch.
Serves 2 Total Time 15 mins.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 slices sourdough bread, cut into 2cm cubes
- 3 large eggs
- 150ml milk
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 sprig of dill, chopped (optional)
- 2 slices smoked salmon, chopped into small pieces
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 60g cream cheese
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Heat the oil in a sauté pan on the hob and add the chunks of bread to turn a little golden.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a bowl with the milk, spring onions, dill (if you are using it) and salmon. Season well.
- Once the bread has begun to colour, spread it out in the pan and pour the egg mix over. Add a handful of baby spinach and quickly fold to combine, this will also help the bread soak up the egg. Dot the cream cheese around the pan.
- Cook for 3 mins to set the mixture, then finish under the grill. It should puff up a bit and be golden on top. Serve straight from the pan with an extra scattering of spring onion and spinach.