Spicy sweet potato and chickpea soup
This soup is a real smooth operator. Full of chickpeas, it has all the appeal of a winter warming soup, with the spice of a hot Mediterranean summer spent lounging around on the beach. Sip and enjoy to your heart’s content!
Serves 4-6 Total Time 30 mins
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (extra to serve)
- 1 onion, 1 carrot, peeled and 1 celery stick, all finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Ras El Hanout spice mix
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks
- 1 tin chickpeas (400g)
- 1L vegetable stock
- 25g fresh coriander, chopped
- Sourdough bread, cut into croutons
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion, carrot and celery on low for 5 mins.
- Add the Ras El Hanout, sweet potato and half the chickpeas, stir and cook for 2 mins.
- Now add the stock, bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer and cook for 15 mins until the potato is tender.
- Using a hand blender, pulse until smooth.
- Stir in the rest of the chickpeas, cook for 2 mins and season to taste. If you prefer thinner soup, add a little water.
- Dress the soup with the coriander and a glug of olive oil, then scatter over some griddled sourdough croutons.