Spicy kale-topped red lentil dhal
Fragrant and full of goodness, this satisfying dhal is the ideal vegetarian comfort food. Yum.
Serves 4 Total Time 30 mins
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped, plus 1 peeled
- 4cm fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp any Indian curry paste, heaped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 150g red lentils
- 800ml veg stock
- 400ml light coconut milk
- 100g kale, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- In a large pan, heat 2 tbsp oil and cook the onions for 6–8 minutes until they’re soft and begin to colour.
- Add the chopped garlic, ginger, cumin, mustard seeds and curry paste and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the potato, lentils, stock and coconut milk. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the lentils are soft but holding their shape.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick pan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil, add the peeled garlic clove, let it sizzle then add the kale and chilli. Stir for a few minutes until it wilts, then remove the garlic.
- Taste and season, then serve the dhal in bowls with a spoonful of the garlicky kale.