Smoked Sausages with Smashed Dill Potatoes and Pickled Beetroot and Red Onion Slaw
This simple dish shows off three big flavours of Nordic cuisine: dill, pickle and smoke.
Serves 4 Total time 30 mins
• 750g new potatoes, large ones cut in half
• 600g Reflets de France Montbeliard Sausages, cut in half lengthways
• Bunch fresh dill, leaves chopped
• 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the slaw
• 250g raw beetroot, peeled and grated, or peeled with a julienne peeler
• 1 red onion, finely sliced into half moons
• 100ml white wine vinegar.
• 150g white cabbage, shredded
• 200g carrots, peeled and grated, or peeled with a julienne peeler
• 4 tbsp mayonnaise
• 2 tsp dijon mustard
1. Boil the potatoes in a pan of salted water for 18 mins, or until cooked. Drain and set aside.
2. Put the beetroot and red onion in a bowl with the vinegar and set aside to pickle.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, grill the sausages for 10 mins, turning half way through. Remove to a plate and keep warm in foil.
4. Put the cabbage, carrot, mayonnaise and mustard into a bowl. Drain the beetroot and red onion, then add to the bowl and mix.
5. When done, slightly smash the potatoes with a fork and mix the dill and olive oil through, then season, if needed. Combine the sausages, slaw and potatoes on plates to serve.