Sesame-and-Coconut-Dipped Banana Fritters
This simple gluten and dairy-free dessert is inspired by Thai street food. Pan-fry, or bake if you have a bit more time.
Serves 2-3 Takes 10 mins
- 30g rice flour
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 20g desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp black and white sesame seeds, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tbsp milk of your choice
- 1 medium egg
- 2 bananas, quartered (cut lengthways and widthways)
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil (if pan-frying)
- Coconut yoghurt (1 dollop)
- Zest of 1 lime (optional)
1. Make the batter: mix the flour, baking powder, coconut and sesame seeds in a bowl. Stir in honey, milk and egg.
2. You should have 8 pieces of banana after slicing. Dip them in the batter so they’re lightly coated. Now either fry in the oil for 2 mins each side in a hot pan until golden, or bake for 10-12 mins on a lined baking sheet in a 220°C/ 200°C fan/gas 7 oven.
3. Serve hot with a dollop of coconut yoghurt and top with extra sesame seeds and lime zest if you like.
The rice flour gives a crisper result, but if you’re not gluten-free you can use plain flour instead.