Sausage and fennel wholewheat fusilli
With the addition of fennel, this rustic sausage dish gets a refreshing lift. Tuck in.
Serves 4 Total Time 30 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, very finely chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 6 sausages, skinned & crumbled
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 350g passata rustica
- 1 bay leaf
- 250g wholewheat pasta
- Large handful of spinach
- Parmesan, grated
- In a large non-stick pan heat the oil and gently cook the onion, carrot and fennel for 2–3 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Push to the side of the pan and add the sausage meat and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir it all together and add the garlic, fennel seeds and chilli and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the passata, bring to the boil, add a cup of water and the bay leaf. Simmer for 20 minutes until reduced and tasty, then season.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as per packet instructions. Drain and add back to the pan.
- Pour in the sauce. Stir through the spinach allowing the heat to wilt it slightly. Serve topped with parmesan.