Sausage and bean casserole
Enjoy this hearty dish either with sausage or the succulent taste of chicken thighs for a Provençal-style stew. You’ll need a casserole dish to start with, but once you’ve got that, the rest will just fall into place – a taste-driven place where comfort foods like this are always encouraged.
Serves 4 Total Time 1hr 5 mins
For the stew:
- 12 sausages
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into half moons
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Handful of parsley, thyme & rosemary
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes (400g each)
- 500ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp sundried tomato paste
For the beans:
- 300g dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 3 garlic cloves
- 20g bunch sage
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas Mark 4.
- To cook the beans, place them in a saucepan and cover with cold water, adding the stock cube, garlic and sage.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes until tender.
- While the beans are cooking, grill the sausages to colour all over and set aside.
- In a casserole dish suitable to use on the hob, sauté the onions, celery and bay leaves in the olive oil for 5 mins. Tip the herbs in and cook for 2 mins.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, stock and sundried tomato paste, then bring to the boil.
- Add the sausages and beans, strained from the stock water.
- Place the lid on the casserole dish and place in the oven for 40 mins, then it’s ready to serve.