Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Spaghetti with Basil and Pistachio Oil
Roasting the tomatoes slowly creates a deeply rich sauce.
Serves 4 Prep 30 mins Cook 2 hrs
• 900g of vine-ripened tomatoes, halved
• 2 red peppers, seeds removed and cut into large chunk
• 2 tbsp good-quality balsamic vinegar (or other vinegar)
• 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tsp dried oregano (optional)
• 300g dried spaghetti
FOR THE BASIL AND PISTACHIO OIL
• 100ml extra virgin olive oil
• 2 bunches fresh basil leaves (reserve a few to scatter over the finished dish)
• 50g pistachio nuts
1. Preheat oven to 150°C/130°C fan/gas 2. Place the tomatoes and red peppers into a large deep baking tray and toss with some seasoning, vinegar, olive oil and oregano, if using. Cook in the oven for 2 hrs.
2. Once cooked, remove and place in a food processor then blitz together. You can do this with a hand-held stick blender if you prefer. Set aside.
3. While the tomatoes and peppers are cooking, make the basil oil by blitzing the oil, basil and pistachios together with some salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
4. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, drain then toss in the hot saucepan with the sauce. Drizzle through the basil oil and scatter the reserved basil leaves over the top to serve.
Extra basil oil can be kept in the fridge to add to dressings. You can also cook the tomatoes for up to 4 hours to enhance their flavour – especially if they are slightly underripe.