Roasted shawarma chicken with spring onions and grains RECIPE
Full of flavour, fresh ingredients and ready in under an hour; we have this roasted shawarma chicken with spring onions and grains recipe on heavy rotation this April.
Serves 4 Total Time 50 mins, plus marinating time
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on and bone in
- 3 tbsp Belazu Shawarma Paste
- 2 x 250g packs Merchant Gourmet Glorious Grains
- 125g spring onions, trimmed and cut into thirds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs, chopped (we used flat-leaf parsley and mint leaves)
- 4 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- greek yogurt, to serve
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl, add the shawarma paste and rub it all over them. Cover and marinate in the fridge – ideally overnight, but 1 hr will do.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6 and line a roasting tin with baking paper. Season the marinated chicken with salt and lay skin-side down in the tin. Roast for 20 mins.
- Remove the tin from the oven and lift the chicken out, onto a plate. Tip the grains into the tin, stir them in the chicken juices, then spread out evenly. Lay the chicken thighs on top, skin-side up, then scatter with the spring onions. Season, drizzle with the olive oil and roast for 20 mins until cooked through and the chicken skin is crisp.
- Remove from the oven, scatter the herbs and pomegranate seeds over the top and serve with greek yogurt and lemon wedges.