Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Pasta
A classic family favourite that’s quick, easy and very tasty. Top tip: leaving the sauce to one side while you cook the pasta allows the flavours to develop.
Serves 4 Total Time 30 mins
Get the ingredients here.
- 500g casarecce pasta
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 280g roasted red peppers, from a jar, drained and roughly chopped
- 250ml vegetable stock, or chicken stock
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 20g fresh dill, leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp sundried tomato paste, (optional)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Pour 2 tbsp of the oil into a large heavy-based pan on a medium-low heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and saute for 3 mins with the lid on.
2. Next add the tinned tomatoes, peppers, stock, bay leaves and seasoning. If you’re using the tomato paste add it now (it lends a lovely rich flavour).
3. Bring to the boil then turn down to simmer with the lid on for 15 mins.
4. When the sauce is done, remove the pan from the heat and discard the bay leaves (either leave the sauce chunky or use a stick blender to whizz it to a smooth consistency). Then add the chopped dill and the remaining 1tbsp of olive oil, stir together and set aside with the lid on for the flavours to develop while you cook the pasta.
5. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to pack instructions, until al dente.
6. Drain and add the pasta to the sauce, mix thoroughly and serve.