Purple sprouting broccoli with spelt pasta
This vegetarian pasta dish is delicious as it is. But if you fancy being flexitarian, try adding some seasonal crab at the end.
Serves 2 Total Time 30 mins
- Glug of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp capers, heaped
- 1 small garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 200g wholemeal spelt pasta (we used casarecce)
- 200g purple sprouting broccoli (or other greens)
- Zest and juice of 1⁄2 unwaxed lemon
- Dried chilli flakes, to taste
- Toasted breadcrumbs (optional)
- White crabmeat (optional)
- Place a large pan of salted water on the hob and bring to a boil.
- Warm a good glug of extra virgin olive oil in a large pan over a medium-low heat.
- Fry the capers until starting to crisp, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute without colouring. Set aside.
- If using dried pasta, boil it in the salted water for 6 minutes, then add the greens, bring back to the boil and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- If using fresh pasta, boil the greens first for 1 minute, then add the pasta and boil for another 3 minutes.
- Strain the pasta and greens into a colander, then immediately transfer to the pan containing the capers and garlic.
- Season with the lemon zest and juice, freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with chilli flakes and scatter liberally with breadcrumbs for a crunchy alternative to parmesan. Finally, add crabmeat, if using.