Parsnips Coated with Parmesan and Sage
Don’t just settle for a little olive oil on your parsnips – coat them in parmesan and sage for an earthy aftertaste. Bake them until they are nicely crunchy.
Serves 4 Total Time 35mins
- 70g plain flour
- 50g parmesan, finely grated
- 30g fresh sage, stalks removed and leaves finely chopped (reserve about 8 whole leaves)
- 750g parsnips, peeled, cut into quarters length-ways and the woody stem sliced out
- 4tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for frying
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/gas 4.
- In a large, shallow bowl, mix together the flour, parmesan, chopped sage and some seasoning.
- Boil a large pan of water and parboil the parsnips for 5 mins. Drain and toss in the flour mixture, making sure all are coated.
- Place the parsnips onto a large baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Cook in the oven for 25 mins until golden and slightly crunchy. You may need to turn them halfway through.
- To finish, shallow-fry the whole sage leaves in a little olive oil for 10 seconds, drain on some kitchen paper, then scatter over the cooked parsnips.