Parsnip soup with smoked almond pesto
Smoked almonds add a subtle, umami touch to this soup, making it even more moreish.
Serves 4 Total Time 30 mins
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, (plus 150ml for the Pesto)
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 650g parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 500ml unsweetened oat milk
- 900ml vegetable stock
- 100g fresh basil, leaves picked
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 lemon, zest of 1, juice of half
- 65g smoked almonds
- 1 crusty bread, to serve (optional)
- Add the 2tbsp of oil to a heavy-bottomed pan with the onion and bay leaves and sauté for 5 mins on a low heat.
- Now add the parsnips and cook for 1 min, then add the oat milk, stock and some seasoning. Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer for 15 mins.
- While the soup is cooking, blitz all the pesto ingredients together in a food processor or mini-chopper, season to taste and set aside.
- Remove the bay leaves from the soup and use a stick blender to bring it to a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Serve in bowls, drizzle with pesto, and add a side of nice crusty bread.