Pappa Al Pomodoro Recipe
Looking for a taste of Tuscany that’ll use up those food cupboard leftovers? Try this warming soup that’s chock-full of cherry tomatoes with a slice of crusty bread, ready for dipping.
Serves 4 Total Time 40-50 mins
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Pinch of fennel seeds
- 4 x 400g tinned cherry tomatoes
- 1 big bunch of fresh basil, leaves picked
- 5 slices of stale coarse-textured bread
- Pour a generous splash of oil into a large pan and fry the garlic gently until it begins to soften.
- Add the fennel seeds, stir and add the tomatoes along with an extra can of water and season well.
- Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for 20–30 minutes.
- Tear in the basil leaves and stir well. Break the bread into chunks and push them down into the soup.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes adding a little more water if you think it needs it. Take off the heat.
- Serve with a sprinkle of olive oil and a few extra basil leaves.