Mini Toads in the Hole with Onion Gravy
What is it about mini versions of dishes that are so appetising? Family and friends will happily fill up on these.
Serves 4 Total Time 40mins.
- 12 chipolatas, cut in half
- 110g plain flour
- 2 medium free range eggs, beaten
- 1/2 pint semi skimmed milk
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil, plus 1 tbsp for the onion gravy
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced, for the onion gravy
- 4 tbsp gravy granules, for the onion gravy
You will need a 12–cup deep muffin tin for this recipe.
- Place the flour into a large jug, add salt, pepper, eggs and milk – whisk to combine. This can be made an hour or two beforehand, just cover and rest it in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas mark 6.
- Divide the oil evenly among the muffin moulds, add two sausages in each and place the tin in the oven for 5 mins.
- Remove the tin from the oven and ladle in the batter, aiming to fill each half way up the mould. For best results, do this at pace, but be careful as the oil will be very hot.
- Place the tin back in the oven for 15–20 mins, or until the toadies are risen and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the onion gravy. Heat a little oil in a saucepan, add the onions and cook for about 10 mins, until golden brown.
- Add 350ml of hot water and gravy granules to the onions and bring to the boil. Once thickened, pour into a serving jug or pan.
- When the toadies are ready, remove them from the tin and serve stacked on a board or large platter for good effect.