Middle Eastern-Style Tomato and Cucumber Panzanella Recipe
The tomatoes and pomegranate molasses add a sweetness to this Middle Eastern-inspired summer salad.
Serves 4 Total Time 25 mins
Get the ingredients here
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tsp salt
- 400g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, quartered lengthways, then cut into 2cm chunks
- 115g ciabatta, halved lengthways (we used M&S’s 2 Half Ciabatta)
- small bunch of dill, leaves chopped, stalks finely chopped
- small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, leaves chopped, stalks finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Mix the onion in a bowl with the vinegar, sugar, pomegranate molasses and 1/2 tsp salt. Scrunch together using your hands, until the onion starts to soften. Set aside.
- Toss the tomatoes and cucumber in a large mixing bowl with the remaining salt and a generous grind of black pepper.
- Grill or barbecue the ciabatta for a couple of mins each side, until dark char marks form. Tear into chunks and stir into the tomato and cucumber mix. Add the herbs, sumac and olive oil. Drain the onions and add these too. Stir to combine.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 30 minutes before serving, to allow the bread to take on the flavours from the other ingredients.
Three simple ways you can adapt this recipe:
Combine with barbecued halloumi
Make it tangy
Make it go further
Hungry for more? Check out more delicious barbecue recipes here.