Meera’s Vegan Cauliflower and sweet potato tacos
Meera Sodha brings us a hearty taco to make for a filling recipe that defies the seasons. To build one, just smudge some black beans onto the tortillas, top with vegetables and finish with a spoonful of salsa for a little zing on top.
Serves 4 Total Time 1hr 10 mins
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 5tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tsp chipotle flakes
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 12 small tortilla wraps
For the black bean purée
- 400g tin black beans
- 1tsp chipotle flakes
- 1⁄2 tsp fine sea salt
For the coriander chilli salsa
- 2 jalapeño chillies
- 1⁄2 red onion, cut into 0.5cm and diced
- 50g coriander, very finely chopped
- 4tbsp lime juice
- 3⁄4tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. To make the salsa, use tongs to hold one of the chillies over a small gas flame until well charred.
- Put on a plate to cool and repeat with the other chilli. (If you don’t have an open flame, grill them instead).
- Put the onion, coriander, lime juice and salt in a bowl. Once the chillies have cooled, finely chop and mix into the salsa. Taste and adjust if need be.
- Line two large baking trays with baking paper. Place the cauliflower and sweet potato in a large bowl, add the oil, spices and salt, and toss with your hands to coat.
- Transfer to the trays, spread out in a single layer and roast for 35 mins, until tender and slightly charred.
- While the vegetables roast, make the purée. Drain the beans, reserving the liquid, then blend 4 tbsp of liquid with the beans, chipotle and salt, until smooth.
- When your vegetables are almost ready, heat the tortillas, following packet instructions. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and put on the table with the salsa, purée and tortillas, ready to build the tacos.
Originally published in Guardian FEAST