Meera’s Sloppy Joes with Celeriac, Mushrooms and Cider Recipe
Did you know that just one celeriac can feed up to six people? That’s the kind of math we like. Almost as much as we like this veg-packed recipe.
- 2 brown onions, peeled and very finely diced
- 1 big carrot, very finely diced
- 300g chestnut mushrooms, very finely diced
- 1 celeriac (approx. 1kg), peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
Serves 6 Total Time 1 hr 50 mins
- 150ml olive oil
- 500g passata (Meera used Isle of Wight Passata)
- 250ml medium dry cider (Meera used Orchard View Apple Cider)
- 6 seeded buns
- Vegan butter
- sliced sour gherkin pickles
- paprika crisps (Meera used Brindisa Torres Smoked Paprika crisps)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/Gas Mark 6. Place the onion, carrot and mushrooms into a large baking tray – you will need a very big baking tray for this, around 40cm x 30cm (you could use two trays instead, but you may need to reduce the cooking time).
- Put the celeriac into a food processor and cut into tiny mince-sized pieces, then add to the onion mixture. Add the garlic, spices, mustard, salt and olive oil. Mix well with your hands until the vegetables are coated, then add the passata and 125ml cider and mix again.
- Place in the oven for 45 mins, remove, add the remaining cider, mix really well and place in the oven for another 45–55 mins. You’re looking for the vegetables to be very tender and starting to caramelise, and any liquid to have evaporated. Remove the tray from the oven and check the seasoning.
- To assemble the sloppy joes, toast and butter the buns, then pack with the mixture. Layer the sliced gherkins over the top of the mix and close the lid of the bun. Serve with crisps on the side.
Browse more of Meera’s content on her vegan recipe collection.