Meera Sodha’s Sprout & Chilli Peanut Noodles
Meera Sodha caught up with our recipe buddies over at MOB Kitchen and they didn’t just go sprout, they went sprout sprout! This Sprout & Chilli Peanut Noodles recipe has made us really excited for sprout season.
Serves 4 Total Time 25 mins
- 500g sprouts, finely shredded, Meera uses Ocado sprouts
- 1-2 tbsp chilli oil, Meera likes Lee Kum Kee
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ocado white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp Ocado toasted sesame oil
- 3 tbsp light soy
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds, plus more to decorate
- 4 tbsp or 50g salted peanuts, chopped, plus more to decorate
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped, whites and greens separated
- 200g whole wheat noodles
- 3 fat cloves of Ocado garlic, peeled and minced
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- First, make the chilli sauce. Put ½–1 tablespoon of chilli ‘sediment’ from the bottom of the jar into a small bowl, alongside 1 tablespoon of the chilli oil.
- Add to it the white wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil, 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, sesame seeds, peanuts and a small handful of the greens from the spring onions (leave the rest to decorate the dish later). Leave to one side.
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, making sure you wiggle them to separate.
- Drain and wash the noodles with cold water until cooled. Drain again and leave to one side.
- To cook the sprouts, heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil over a medium heat.
- When hot, add the garlic and the spring onion whites, fry for 2-3 mins then add the sprouts and crank up the heat to high.
- Hard fry the sprouts for 4-5 mins until charring and tender then add the noodles and the sauce.
- Gently mix together (Meera finds a spaghetti fork useful for this) and taste, adding salt if need be.
- Plate up, sprinkle over with spring onion greens, sesame seeds and more peanuts – and more chilli oil if you wish.
Keep an eye out for more Meera content in the coming weeks.