Meera’s Leek, Pinto Bean and Cheddar Quesadillas Recipe
Serve these while they are warm and the cheese is gooey, a true family recipe getting you and the kids going back for more.
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, grated
- 3 Ocado big leeks, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 jalapeño chillies, finely sliced, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
Serves 4 Total Time 30 mins
- 2 tbsp sour cream, plus more to serve
- 1 x 400g tin pinto beans, drained
- 140g Ocado mature cheddar
- 16 flour tacos
- Chipotle ketchup, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and when hot, add the garlic and the leeks. Turn the heat right down, cook for 5 mins until starting to wilt, then add the cumin, chillies and salt. Stir to mix. Cook for 5 mins, or until soft and tender, then stir through the sour cream.
- In the meantime, pop the beans into a large heatproof bowl and mash lightly. Add the cheese and finally the leeks (keep the empty pan to one side). Mix everything together.
- To make up the quesadillas, lay out 8 tacos on your work surface and divide the filling equally between them. Use a spoon to press down the filling, so it comes near to the edge of the taco. Put the remaining tacos on top, and gently press down so they stick together.
- Wipe out the pan with kitchen roll and put back over a low-medium heat. Cook each taco for around 5 mins, turning halfway, or until both sides are golden and crisp and the filling looks oozy and hot – then tip out onto a chopping board.
- When the quesadillas have cooled a little, cut into wedges and serve with sour cream, chipotle ketchup, lime wedges and extra chillies (if you dare).
Browse more of Meera’s content on her vegan recipe collection.