Meera Sodha’s chickpea flour pancakes with greens and coconut chutney
Extend the comfort and joy into January with vegan comfort food at its absolute best. Freshly made chickpea flour pancakes topped with coconut yogurt, fresh veg and a kick of spice. Check out the video at the bottom of the page and cook this recipe with Meera!
Meera’s Recipe Note: You’ll need a (stick) blender and a non-stick pan with a lid.
- 150g gram flour
- ¼ baking powder
- ¼ tsp Ocado turmeric
- ½ tsp salt + ¾ tsp salt
- 350g coconut yoghurt, I like Coconut Collaborative
- 60g Ocado desiccated coconut
Serves 4 Total Time 45 mins
- 1 Ocado green finger chill
- 1 fat Ocado garlic clove, peeled
- A drizzle of Ocado Rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 250g purple sprouting broccoli, finely chopped
- 250g rainbow chard, stalks and leaves separated, finely chopped
- First make the chickpea pancake batter. Place the gram flour, baking powder, turmeric and ½ teaspoon of salt into a bowl and mix with a fork. Add 75g of yoghurt and mix and then, little by little, add 250ml water to the flour until you have a nice smooth batter. Leave to rest to one side.
- Next make the chutney, blitz together the coconut and 275g of the yoghurt together with the green chilli, garlic clove and ¾ teaspoon of salt. Add a little water to loosen the chutney, if need be.
- To cook the pancakes, heat a drizzle of oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat. When hot, pour a quarter of the batter onto the pan. Leave to cook for a minute or until golden then flip. Cook for another minute on the other side then slide onto a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, and when finished, and don’t wash up the pan.
- To make the greens, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the same pan and when hot, add the mustard seeds. Let them pop then add the broccoli and the chard stalks. Cook for 2 minutes then add a couple of tablespoons of water and pop a lid on. Steam for 3 minutes, add half of the chutney and the chard leaves, mix and pop the lid back on for a couple of minutes until the leaves have wilted. Taste and season if need be. Then leave to rest while you cook the pancakes.
- To serve, place ¼ of the mixture into each pancake alongside a spoonful of coconut chutney.
Treat yourself to another vegan dish courtesy of Meera by checking out her Chilli and Sprout Noodles.