Mak Tok Malaysian recipes: Sticky pork ball rice
This sensationally sticky and fantastically flavoursome dish is one of the highlights of our Mak Tok Malaysian recipe collection.
Serves 2 Total Time 30 mins.
- 250g minced pork
- 1/2 carrot (diced)
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cucumber (julienned)
- 2 bowls of boiled rice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup water mixed with 1/2 tsp cornflour
- Add minced pork, carrot, onions, sesame oil, white pepper, salt, and Chinese five spice in a mixing bowl. Mix well and allow to marinate for 10 mins.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Shape the minced pork into round balls and gently drop them into the boiling water. Cook for 3 mins before taking them out and set aside.
- Oil a frying pan and pan fry the pork balls for 4 mins.
- Add soy sauce, dark brown sugar and cornflour mixture into the pan. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens and coat the pork balls well. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Add apple cider vinegar to rice and mix well. Add the sticky pork ball to the rice with some cucumber at the side. Garnish the dish with sesame seeds before serving.