Mak Tok Malaysian recipes: Bubur Som Som
Warming, fragrant and oh so moreish, it’s a perfect dessert for chilly evenings.
Serves 3-4 Total Time 1hr 20 mins.
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 400ml water
For the coconut syrup:
- 300g coconut sugar
- 500ml water
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Add rice flour, cornflour, coconut milk, salt and water to a pot and turn on the heat to medium.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, lower to heat to low and keep stirring until it thickens. It usually takes around 10 mins.
- Pour the thickened rice flour mixture into a silicone cupcake mould and let it cool in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Prepare the syrup by adding coconut sugar, water and vanilla extract to a pan. Turn the heat to medium-low and continue to stir until thickens.
- Once the rice mixture is cooled and set, remove it from the mould and serve it over coconut syrup.