LISA FAULKNER’S WARMING MINESTRONE STEW
Lisa Faulkner’s Minestrone bean stew with smoky cheddar dumplings is a one-pot wonder of comfort food that’s perfect for this time of year.
Serves 4 Total Time 50 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 jar tomato salsa
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 500ml veg stock
- 400g kidney beans
- 400g butter or cannellini beans
- 70g of small macaroni or spaghetti,
broken into small pieces
- 70g green beans, chopped to 1cm
For the dumplings:
- 150g self-raising flour
- 70g veg suet
- 1 pinch salt
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- approx. 120-150ml cold water
- 30-40g grated cheddar
- Preheat oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/Gas 6.
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish with a lid. Add the onion and fry over a low heat until soft.
- Add the garlic and fry for 1 min, then add the celery, tomatoes, salsa, paprika and stock till bubbling.
- Drain and rinse the tinned beans and add them into the dish.
- Season and bring to the boil. Put the lid on and pop in the oven for 20 mins while you mix all the dumpling ingredients together in a bowl.
- Please add as much water necessary to bind the dumpling mix together. This is typically between 120-150ml, but can be slightly different every time!
- After 20 mins are up, add the pasta and green beans and give it a good stir. Drop spoonfuls of the dumplings on top, cover and cook for a further 10 mins.
- Take the lid off and cook for 10 mins until the dumplings are puffed and lovely.
Lisa’s Top Tip: To make it go further, add another tin of tomatoes and a tin of water. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.