Lisa Faulkner’s Pain au chocolat bread and butter pudding
Pain au chocolat and bread and butter pudding? In the same dish? No, you’re not dreaming – but you might be in heaven.
Serves 6 Total Time 55 mins
- Butter, for greasing
- 5-6 pain au chocolat, sliced into thirds
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp caster sugar, plus a extra for sprinkling
- 300ml milk
- 300ml double cream
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease an ovenproof dish (approximately 25cm x 20cm).
- Squish the pain au chocolat slices into your dish, as many as you can fit in.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar together in a large bowl, until pale.
- Pour the milk, cream and vanilla extract into a pan and simmer. Don’t boil it or it will curdle.
- Whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks and pour over the pain au chocolat. Leave for 15–20 minutes.
- Scatter over a little sugar and bake for approximately 25 minutes until golden.
- To decorate, sprinkle a little more sugar before serving, if liked.