Lisa Faulkner’s Coq au vin blanc
Go blanc with this refreshing take on the traditional coq au vin.
Serves 4 Total Time 1hr 10 mins
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 chicken legs
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 140g diced pancetta
- 4 banana shallots, halved at the root
- Handful small chantenay carrots
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 250ml white wine
- 200ml chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp tarragon, chopped
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas Mark 4. Heat the oil and butter in a casserole dish.
- Coat the chicken in seasoned flour and dust off excess. Fry on both sides until golden brown and set aside.
- Add the pancetta and shallots and cook for 3–4 minutes until the pancetta begins to brown.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add the wine, stock and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, add the tarragon, cover with a lid and pop in the oven for 40–50 minutes. Season and serve with mash.