Lisa Faulkner’s Apple Crumble & Custard Cake
Cook and author Lisa Faulkner has brought us another recipe for the Ocado Blog: An Apple Crumble and Custard Cake – a family time staple! We love working with Lisa Faulkner, she’s a brilliant cook and writer. Here she shares a real family favourite: a delicious warming winter apple crumble and custard cake. Using some of her favourite Ocado products, including this springform cake tin, Lisa has provided us with easy and simply steps to achieve this delicious recipe- perfect to do on a rainy day!
Serves 4 Total Time 50 mins
For the custard:
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 300ml Ocado milk
For the crumble:
- 80g Ocado plain flour
- 40g soft brown sugar
- 50g butter
For the cake:
- 200g butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 Ocado free range eggs
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 Ocado cox’s apples peeled, cored, cut into ½ cm slices
- 1 pinch of salt
- You will need a 20-23cm springform cake tin greased and dusted with flour.
- Preheat the oven to 160℃/140°C fan/gas 2-3.
- First make the custard by mixing the custard powder and sugar together in a small saucepan.
- Add a bit of your milk to make a paste, pour in the rest of the milk, bring to the boil stirring all the time.
- The custard will get nice and thick. Set aside in a bowl to cool.
- For the crumble topping: Rub the ingredients together with your hands until it resembles breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- For the cake: Put the apple slices in a bowl, coat with a tbsp of brown sugar and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale, then add the eggs one at a time with a spoonful of flour after each egg.
- Fold in the rest of the flour and the tbsp of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
- Tip into your greased, floured tin and then push the apple slices into the cake mix close together so that they are standing up like soldiers.
- Spoon the cooled custard over the top, then follow with the crumble layer.
- Bake in the oven for 1hr 40 mins approx. Serve warm as a pud with extra custard or cooled with a cup of tea.