Lemony Lentil, Turmeric and Oat Soup Recipe
Full of flavour and comforting textures, this soup is a personal favourite. To make this gluten free, just use gluten-free oats and leave out the pitta bread.
Serves 4 Total Time 40-50 mins
- 100g butter
- 2 onions (1 finely diced, 1 thinly sliced)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried Aleppo pepper flakes
- 30g oats
- 150g red lentils
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Pitta bread, toasted and broken into pieces
- Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Melt 50g butter in a saucepan and, once sizzling and frothy, add the diced onion. Allow to sweat for around 5 mins, to soften. When the onions are a pale golden colour, add the diced carrot followed by the garlic, turmeric, oregano, Aleppo flakes, oats and lentils, and top with 1.2L warm water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 30-40 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a small pan then add the thinly sliced onion. Caramelise in the butter until the onion is a deep golden colour. Set aside.
- The soup is ready when the lentils have cooked through and have mostly disintegrated, creating a thick, slightly coarse texture. (If you prefer a smoother texture, blend the soup now). Add the lemon juice and season with salt to taste.
- To serve, spoon the caramelised onions over the soup and finish with chopped parsley and crispy pitta pieces.
Browse more recipes to enjoy during Ramadan.