Lemony Chicken, Cherry Tomato and Orzo Bake
A one-tray wonder that’s packed with veg.
Serves 4 Total time 1 hr 5 mins
• 1 lemon, sliced
• 1 medium chicken
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
For the pasta
• 2 courgettes, grated
• 250g orzo
• 300g cherry tomatoes
• 1 chicken stock cube, in 500ml boiling water
• 100g baby spinach
• Grana padano, grated (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Lay the sliced lemon in the bottom of a large roasting tin or baking dish. Place the chicken on top and then drizzle on the olive oil, before rubbing over the mixed herbs with plenty of salt and pepper.
2. Roast the chicken in the oven for 40 mins.
3. Remove the tray from the oven and add the grated courgette. Stir around to mix in with the cooking juices. Then add the orzo and cherry tomatoes and mix well. Add the chicken stock and make sure everything is well combined.
4. Return to the oven for another 15 mins. The chicken should be done by now, check and lift out onto a plate to rest. Add the spinach to the roasting tin, stirring well. Season to taste.
5. Return to the oven for a final 5 mins for the spinach to wilt. Remove the lemon slices before serving the orzo with the roast chicken. Finish with a grating of grana padano, if you’re using it.
If there are any leftovers, they make for a very tasty lunchbox the next day.