Leek, Potato and Gruyere Filo Pie Recipe
This filo pie is fairly quick to make and ideal for a light lunch.
Serves 4 Total Time 40 mins.
- 300g new potatoes, miniature
- 400g baby leeks, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 250ml crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp thyme, fresh, chopped
- 250g filo pastry
- 50g butter, melted
- 100g gruyere, grated
- 4 x 12cm pie dish
- Preheat the oven for 170C/gas 3 and gather 4 individual 12cm pie dishes. Boil the potatoes for 8-10 minutes, drain and roughly chop.
- Saute the leeks and garlic in olive oil for 5-8 minutes until soft; take off the heat. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix the eggs, crème fraîche, gruyere and thyme with black pepper and a little salt. Add the cooked leeks and chopped potatoes.
- Unroll the stack of filo sheets (if you do this in advance, cover with a damp tea towel so they don’t dry out). Cut the stack into 4 and brush the top layers with melted butter, peel away and line each pie dish butter-side up.
- The filo should tumble over the edge in a rustic way. Continue to butter, offsetting the points, until you have three to four layers in each pie dish.
- Spoon the filling into each pie dish to the top, place on a baking tray and put in the oven for 15-17 minutes until the filo is dark golden-brown.
- Remove and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve in the dish or gently lift out onto a plate.
- A tomato, shallot and herb salad will work well as a side dish, complementing the nutty, sweet flavour of the cheese.